Thursday, August 23, 2007

Not much today

I didn't get to spend any time in the garden today, which was good since I'm so darned sore from planting yesterday. I can hardly lift my left arm. I can't believe I used to do this for 10 hours a day, six days a week, from March through November. Of course, I was younger and in way better shape then...funny how that works!

I should tell you, though, that I did spend some time watching the hummingbirds this afternoon. We have three of them 'fighting' over our feeder everyday. They are such amazing little birds and one will guard the feeder by perching on a sunflower leaf. She'll dive bomb anyone who comes even close to the feeder. I watched her sitting there through the storm the other day - she didn't even flinch. I guess I make exceptional hummingbird food! I take 1/2 cup of organic, unrefined cane sugar and 2 cups water, bring it to a boil for 2 min. Then I let it cool and fill up the feeder. I change the food and wash the feeder every few days to be sure it doesn't ferment and make them sick. Seems to work way better than the dyed red stuff you buy at the store.

No comments: