Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Of grubs and damsel bugs

Today I was weeding some grass out of the edge of the front bed and there, clinging to the roots of a grass clump, was a big fat grub. I was surprised at how large it was at this point in the season. I guess they are fattening up for their long winter hibernation. Of course I need it's picture for the new book, so I scooped him up and put him in a tupperware for delivery to Doug...lucky guy! I was also excited because I came across what I though was a damsel bug (a terrifically beneficial little guy who is relatively hard to come by). But after close examination and comparison to photographs, it isn't a damsel bug, so I guess I'll have to keep looking.

I planted some new coreopsis today around the veggie garden as well as a few salvias to fill in the bare spots where I pulled out some spent annuals. I think next year that garden will really fill in nicely. I was looking forward to enjoying my Aster 'Purple Dome' this fall, but the darned dear nibbled it twice this summer and I'm not sure if it will bloom before freezing weather arrives. It's one of my favorite asters (I also really like Aster frikartii 'Monch') and I love it with short golden rods like 'Golden Fleece' - it's such a great color combination for late in the season. My Anemone 'September Charm' is budding and the Boltonia is blooming it's head off. Too bad my two year old enjoys pulling off the flowers and sprinkling them around the garden. He's also finding great pleasure in picking all the unripe cherry tomatoes off the vines and pretending to eat them (which scares me to death since they are prime size for choking!). Of course I can't get him to even taste a ripe tomato...

No comments: