Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fall clean up begins

Since the amount of gardening chores still on my plate is incredibly overwhelming, I decided to get started on some of the clean-up related items. Yesterday I emptied all my pots and pitched the contents into the unofficial compost pile on the far side of the fence. It felt good to get the old wheelbarrow cranking again...it's been sitting in the shed idle since spring. I pulled out some spent cosmos and basil plants and thought about doing the same with more of the annuals that are planted where I want to nestle some bulbs. Notice I said I 'thought about it'....I didn't actually do it. I ran out of time.

I did, however, manage to get the pond and waterfall covered with that leaf netting. It was easier than I expected since I found all the cut-to-fit pieces from last winter. I think the fish don't know what hit them with this sudden cool weather. The dogs aren't complaining though, they are acting like a couple of puppies since the temps have dropped. Funny how they do that.

No comments: