Monday, December 10, 2007

More Perennials

My Bluestone Perennials catalog arrived in the mail today. A bit early for my taste, but I have a feeling that this isn't the only one I'm going to get from them this winter. Of course I couldn't help flipping through it once I saw what is on the front cover...one of my favorite plants in a variety I don't have! Phlox stolonifera 'Sherwood Purple' - If you don't grow woodland phlox, this is the year to plant it. Another favorite woodland variety is Phlox divaricata. They have 'London Grove' in the catalog, but I think the color is washed out and prefer the darker blue varieties.

Another 'must have' for me is Penstemon 'Electric Blue' (which I may have to mulch for the winter - it's zone 6-9 - and we are borderline 5-6). I'm also a sucker for Euphorbias. I may try a new one from them called 'First Blush' - it looks awfully interesting in the picture. So does 'Tasmanian Tiger' with beautiful white variegation. I grow the annual Euphorbia marginata (Snow on the Mountain) every year from seed that originally came from my great-great grandmother's garden and was given to me by my Nana a few years before she passed away. It is one of my favorite self sowing annuals for the garden.

No comments: