Monday, April 21, 2008

Update...

The garden seems to have 'popped' over the course of the past week. The daffodils are lovely, the tulips my dog dug up last fall are blooming their heads off (though some of them are not where they are supposed to be), the radish are already 1/2 inch high, the lettuce has germinated and the asparagus has finally arrived (though it's too young to pick). All 8 fruit trees have been planted, as have the 15 new raspberry canes. Yesterday I planted 8 cabbages, 8 leeks, 12 lettuce plants and 4 parsley starts. Today I planted 25 new strawberries (a day-neutral variety called Trident)and cleaned up the last of the perennial beds.

I was visiting my folks in Eastern PA last week and divided a bunch of ornamental grasses for my Mom - sounds like I did a good deed, but I did it so I could have the divisions! Now I've got 22 Maiden grasses to plant around the bottom of the tree fort to enclose the space beneath and make a nice little hiding place for my son. That's the next project. Then there are the 25 potted perennials sitting on the driveway....

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I love the grasses idea for hiding! My in-laws have some and the girls love them when they visit. My only complaint is that theirs don't get quite big enough (they plant them in pots, so they won't spread) for hiding full-sized adults!

Lindsey and Chris said...

Just found your blog...referenced from The Hallmark Magazine. Look forward to enjoying your writing.

Jessica said...

Thanks Lindsey and Chris. Good to 'meet' you!

Jessica