Wednesday, June 18, 2008


I'm hoping my experimental tater station works well this year. The home-made bins might look a bit odd, but I have a feeling that in a few months, when I open the boxwire, I'm going to have some tumbling spuds. The wire cylinders are lined with just a few sheets of newspaper to help hold everything in and then they were filled with alternating layers of very well-aged horse manure and last year's potting soil (when I empty my containers every fall, I put the used soil in garbage bags in the shed. I usually use it to pot up perennial divisions for friends, but here is another good use!). Each bin was filled 1/4 of the way, then 6-8 seed potatoes were spread on top and covered with a few more inches of old horse manure. When the taters were a few inches high, I added several more inches of manure or potting soil. I just kept adding layers as the plants grew. The 'soil' now reaches about 3/4 of the way to the top and that's as full as I'll make them. There are now potato plants sprouting out the sides too. I'm excited to see what happens as the season progresses.

Saw my first baby praying mantis of the season yesterday. Just a little guy, maybe only a quarter of an inch long. He was hanging out on the potato plants. I tried to get a picture, but my camera wasn't cooperating.

The strawberries are just about finished. With the heavy rains of the past week or so, some of the berries got moldy, but really, it was quite a good harvest. Made some delicious homemade strawberry ice cream over the weekend.

My broccoli will soon be ready to harvest as will the sugar snap peas and the snow peas. The lettuce continues to roll in and I've been tying the tomatoes to their hardwood stakes on almost a daily basis. They have begun to won't be long now!

1 comment:

GardenGal said...

Like your tater bins. I think it should work really well. I will be excited to hear how many they yield.